Monday, February 14, 2011

There it is.

The laundry is in the dryer, the week-old clean laundry is piled in a basket and overflowing at the top of the stairs, and I am trying to squeeze another single-friends engagement into tomorrow. I sincerely hope that I can.


I was just watching the Mumford and Sons "Little Lion Man" video, and thinking how great it was that they were evidently a part of the Grammy's, though they're a bluegrassy sort of band, and bluegrass doesn't tend to hit the mainstream. And then I thought back to the episode of 60 Minutes I watched with my dad earlier, where they were discussing the revolution in Egypt and the rescuing of the 33 Chilean miners this past fall, both of which I followed in the news. And I thought to myself, you know? These are exciting times to live in. Things are really happening these days. I remembered a conversation I had with a few of my uncles a summer or two back, when they gave me a shot of vodka from a pewter shot glass that had a silver dollar as the bottom, and gave me a lesson on all the best music of the sixties--Ry Cooder and Little Feat, in particular--and I remarked that "all the good stuff happened before I was born." My uncle laughed, was flattered, and said it wasn't true. And maybe he was right. Maybe there's been excitement going on this whole time, and I've been utterly blind to it. I feel like I've been searching for a pulse in the world, and my fingers are finally finding it. Finding this generation's pulse. Finding my pulse, too.



Little Lion Man:


1 comment:

  1. I was just recently introduced to this band -- have been listening to their album on the bus to work this last week or so. Love this song, and this video. :)

    ReplyDelete