Tuesday, November 2, 2010

David as associated with weather, and also, separately, politics

Tonight's walk with Miley had me resignedly fulfilling my early-fall prediction that cold weather would bring unavoidable thoughts of David. It hasn't been as constant or as painful as I had feared though, which is most definitely appreciated. Even so, having spent one winter sharing a building with him and another skyping him and then exploring Turkey with the man, there are a lot of associations. Often on cold weather nights if I am walking outside I am gently transported to a city street in Adana, shivering and holding hands and walking home from a dinner of iskender and kunefe. It happens. Tonight, as on several or perhaps many others, this was accompanied by a feeling of the quite comforting inevitability of Us. Possibly this is prescient. Possibly this is a coping mechanism developed by a person who has a hard time letting go all at one time. Either way, I'm pretty okay with it. Either way, I know that now is a no-go, and I am okay with that. We'd both need to be somewhat different people from who we are at the moment, and we each are working on that in our own way, toward vague ends, and that too is okay. It's all alright.


I am awake because I have been researching the candidates for election in my district. After the most careful study I have ever done (which, admittedly, isn't saying a lot), it looks like I may be leaning Democratic. I know it isn't exactly polite to discuss politics, and everyone has been slinging a lot of mud and I find that irritating, but I really should vote for someone, and those guys seem slightly better. Our incumbents are Republican and have similar voting records. Both talk a good game, both have supported some decent legislation; both seem to be fairly anti-civil-rights, except when it comes to guns and unborn babies. I am all for protecting unborn babies in most circumstances; however, I am also, for example, all for letting my cousin get married, even if he doesn't particularly want to marry a woman. I also appreciate candidates who give supporting facts for their arguments, rather than just ideas. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that going on anywhere, but there seems to be a bit more of it on the Democratic side in my city. So we'll see how it all goes.

Vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment