Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The world is a strange place, and I'll never understand any of it--not really.  But I hope that "from space" (metaphorically speaking), there's more beauty than horror.


"...And every time you feel like crying, well I'll try and make you laugh. And if you can't, if it just hurts too bad, then we'll wait for it to pass, and I will keep you company through those days so long and black. And we'll keep working on the problem we know we'll never solve, 'cause in love's uneven remainders, our lives are fractions of a whole. But if the world could remain within a frame, like a painting on a wall, I think we'd see the beauty, then, we'd stand staring in awe at our still lives posed, like a bowl of oranges, like a story told of the fault lines in the soul."

(Bright Eyes, Bowl of Oranges)

Forgive the odd punctuation, if it is in fact odd. The phrasing in the song is strange, so it was a little difficult for me to decide where I should put the commas. Commas aside, though, those are some of my favorite song lyrics. Sometimes they give a lot of comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment