Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Hope is a tattered flag."

I saw an article the other day that said that the "you" presented by your facebook profile was "the real you." In some small way, that gives me hope. I mean, obviously the markers they were using were fairly shallow, and for lots of other reasons their assertion isn't as simple and straightforward and true as they'd like to present on the surface. Obviously, as was pointed out near the end of the article, it's only "the real you" in a shallower sense--there are parts of a person that won't show up on a social networking page, and there are parts that you wouldn't see until you've known someone a while. But even though it's just a silly little article and a silly little idea, it gives me comfort to have any reason to really believe that the me I want to be, the me that is happy and excited and loving and upbeat, is a me that really exists, and not just a dream.



"Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up."
Anne Lamott

No comments:

Post a Comment