Saturday, January 30, 2010

It's...still snowing.

What? I thought I lived in central Va. Odd.

My TESL class was canceled today and tomorrow, which is fine except that it probably means they'll reschedule for the weekend after the class was supposed to be finished--you know, Valentine's day weekend, when I was supposed to be out of town, hanging out with my boyfriend and godmother and family. No good. Hopefully there'll be some other option, but none really come to mind at the moment.

The snow is beautiful, even if it is sort of unhelpful. I guess the beauty makes it worth it. I slept in, took my turn shoveling the walkways, walked the dogs with Chloe. Our neighbors were out too, so they walked with us a while. Chloe and I made rolls while listening to Out Of The Blue Radio Review; Chloe made chocolate sauce for the ice cream we all ate after dinner while we played Apples to Apples. My father at first insisted that he didn't want to play, because he is quadriplegic and can't use his hands. But we set up a tray to hold his cards so that he could point to the one he wanted to put down, and he ended up really liking the game. Neither he nor my mother had ever played, and they both loved it. Small victories like that, I don't know, make me want to cry. Like the card-tray being a success, I mean. It's come to a point now (as my father's condition is a degenerative one) where there isn't much that he can do beyond talk and read and watch television, and talking can only last so long, because his voice has become very weak. Finding that he can play a game nearly unassisted is a really great thing.

After dinner I read some poems to my mom and Chloe, and after the first two (The Jabberwocky and The Walrus and the Carpenter--not all were Lewis Carroll though, I promise) my dad went to read his book. Chloe and my mom have both passed out on the couches in the living room in front of the fire, as they sometimes do. Miley and Little Bit (both dogs, neither of which we named) are asleep in here as well, and the rolls have just come out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment