Saturday, October 30, 2010

Winterish

Last night it smelled like snow, and we fired up the wood stove. The cat and dog have been passive-aggressively competing for ownership of the piece of floor just in front of the hearth. That is, the cat (Faith) has been passive-aggressively competing. Miley would be happy to share.

On that note, it seems that as soon as the wood stove is burning, the house slips into its winter skin. The feel of the air changes, things become a little more muffled. We begin making winter food. Right now a venison stock root-vegetable-and-rice stew is simmering in the crock pot. I am looking forward to this.

Today my mom and brother and I (dad is sick) went to Anthropologie to see our cousin at the signing for her latest book*. Though I suppose technically speaking, at least publicly, her name is Mary Randolph Carter, we call her Tippy Berg. Her sister used to be married to my paternal uncle, but we're actually blood related somehow on my mother's side as well. I can never remember how. Anyway, I don't see her often and don't know her well, but she is lovely. I can't afford to buy much of anything at Anthropologie, so after saying hello to Tippy and having a miniature family reunion with all of the other cousins that showed up, I wandered around the store taking pictures of interesting things/things I'd like to try to make myself. (It could happen.) And I did buy some yellow (aka goldish orange) tights to try to use as part of a halloween costume, but I don't look as much like a lightning bug as I had hoped. Maybe I'll have better luck thrift store shopping. Speaking of which, I need to get on that.
























*It IS in my blood. See? Not my fault!

3 comments:

  1. Before I finished reading the post I checked out the book and my thought was exactly - "it's in her blood." Lol. But we knew *that* already! Need lightening bug pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That's awesome. :)

    And I'll see what I can do if I really get a costume together. I don't have the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your second paragraph here is absolutely beautiful. Also, it makes me wish it was closer to lunch time. :)

    ReplyDelete